What is Flutter?
Flutter is an open source framework made by Google. It enables a developer to create native cross-platform apps from a single codebase. This means that you can develop Android, iOS, Web, and Desktop apps at the same time in a single codebase. Flutter is mainly used for developing mobile apps but its use can be extended to developing web and desktop apps.
- Download the Flutter SDK from the installation page.
2. Extract the files to your
Documents folder; it should be located in
Update your Path
- Open your search bar and type
env. Click on Edit environment variables for your account. Under
User variablescheck if there is an entry called Path.
- Click on Path, then click on Edit.
- Click on New and add the following to your Path:
Verifying the Configuration
We have to make sure that Flutter has been configured correctly.
Open a new terminal and run
flutter doctor. *Make sure that you opened a new terminal.
If the command successfully runs, it will look similar to this:
- Download and install Android Studio.
- Start Android Studio, and go through the ‘Android Studio Setup Wizard’. This installs the latest Android SDK, Android SDK Command-line Tools, and Android SDK Build-Tools, which are required by Flutter when developing for Android.
flutter doctorto confirm that Flutter has located your installation of Android Studio. If Flutter cannot locate it, run
flutter config --android-studio-dir <directory>to set the directory that Android Studio is installed to.
Android Virtual Emulator Setup
I highly recommend following the Video Version for this part
- Enable VM acceleration on your machine.
- Launch Android Studio, click on
Virtual Device Manager>
Create Virtual Device>
For details on the above steps, see Managing AVDs.
Agree to Android Licenses
flutter doctor --android-licensesto agree to the licenses
yfor every license agreement that shows up
- If it shows an error, you have to install the android sdk command line tools
- Open Android Studio, click on
SDK Toolsand click on the
Applyand wait for it to install.
VS Code Setup
- Download and install VS Code
- Once it is opened, open the extensions tab and install the Flutter extension
- Open the Command Palette by pressing
Ctrl + Shift + P.
new projectand select
Flutter: New Project
Applicationand type any project name
- Select a folder to create the project in and you're ready to go!